What Should Be Done If There Is A Slab Leak?
When you notice a slab leak in your home, you may be overwhelmed trying to find the best solution to fix it immediately. Slab leaks can occur when pipes inside (or underneath) a home’s foundation begin to leak. This can cause significant damage if not addressed quickly using the right tools and equipment.
How will I know if I have a slab leak?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if you have a slab leak. Often times, they are hidden behind a layer of concrete. However, there are a few signs to watch out for that may help you determine if you are dealing with a leak somewhere in the house.
- Damp, warping floors
- Decreased water pressure
- Water seeping under or around your foundation
- A sudden increase in your water bill (without a corresponding increase in water usage)
- A smell of mold or mildew
- Wall and foundation cracks
- Unusual warm spots on your floor
- Hot water heater running constantly
What causes slab leaks?
You may be wondering how a leak like this occurred in the first place. There could be a number of reasons but usually they are caused by:
- Improper Construction: Damage during installation can cause slab leaks, such as bent, dented, or kicked pipes and/or poor quality of pipes.
- External Pressure: Outside pressure, such as water pressure, soil shifting during earthquakes, and soil erosion, can cause slab leaks to occur.
- Corrosion and Abrasion: Hot water pipes that experience abrasion as they expand with heat is a common cause of a slab leak.
- Acidic or Alkaline Water: If you have high pH levels, it could be an indication that you have a slab leak.
- A Combination of These Things: There’s not always one clear answer for a slab leak and sometimes it’s a combination of things that causes them.
By scheduling regular maintenances, you can often catch these problems before they worsen. Leaving slab leaks unaddressed could lead to extensive damage to your home overtime.
So, you have a slab leak – now what?
First things first, try not to panic. The best thing to do if you notice you have a leak is to address the problem immediately. If you want to get your leak fixed quickly and efficiently without causing further damage to your home, it’s best to shut off your water and call a professional plumber immediately. There’s a lot of special equipment, tools and knowledge that goes into repairing these types of leaks. Attempting to DIY could only cause more damage and potentially cost you more money if the problem worsens.
Call Leak Finders – Your Local Richmond, Virginia Plumber
If you suspect you may have a slab leak on your hands, or another plumbing issue, call your local Richmond, Virginia plumbers at Leak Finders. We are here for all your plumbing needs. Our licensed and experienced plumbers use the latest technology in leak detection. You can give us a call at 804-767-3580 or contact us online here.